Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Favorite Place

-->
Walk into the big white house
Hands full with boxes
Hear the “Hey they’re here!”
And the bear hugs from Grandma
Lay everything underneath the decorated beast
As the foods’ smell cascades out of the oven

As everyone arrives
We all stand in the kitchen
Anxious for the exciting night
We all stand in a circle and pray
For anything
Everything
And the booming voice of parents’ “Amen!”

I always like being first
Along with my cousin
To walk through the buffet
Of wonderful smells and sights
I always go for the well done
Pieces of meat
As my mom and I are the only ones
Who don’t like theirs red

It’s not set and stone
But it seems as if we almost have
A seating chart
I always sit my girl cousin
Her brother’s sit together
My parents by me
And then my uncle claims he doesn’t care
Where he sits

Grandma is always the last one sitting
Insisting that she must let everyone
Get their food before her
We always save a spot
Just for her

After the feast
My cousin and I race to the tree
To sort everything
If they aren’t sitting down
We choose where they sit
 Most of the time not happy
With where we put them
Everyone moves to a new spot
I always sit right upfront of the fire
My by back burning up
In delight

After everything calms down
We play an epic game of
Uno
Everyone somehow ends up in teams
Ganging up on the leader
Cheating is never a problem
Yet we still ask
“Prove it!”
We tally up the points
Always with someone
Over 100 and someone under 20

Next we move to the popular game
Of bluffing and betting with chips
Poker
I was always too young to understand
How to play
But this year I have been training
I used to just watch
And all that watching has paid off

We play till late into the night
No one wanting to leave
Laughing and giggling
Smiling and grinning
Then the tragic moment comes
Christmas Eve has just ended

No comments:

Post a Comment