Friday, January 11, 2013

5 Paragraph Essay


As I walked through the almost empty house, I glanced at the no-longer-in-use desk and saw a shimmering gold like coin staring at me as if I were destine to take it.  “Can I take this, Grandma?” I questioned my tired grandma, picking up the coin that was connected to a small block like piece of paper.  It looked so familiar, not just sitting on the desk all those years, but familiar somewhere else, too.  As my grandma started to step towards me reassuring that I could take the item, I reread the verse printed in italics a million different times in my head.  “Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commence me here ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide.”
        My grandpa had just died earlier that week.  I think it was pretty hard on my grandma, sorting through all of his old clothes and personal items alone, so my parents and I decided to spend the weekend helping her with things that needed to be done.  She told my dad and I that we could take anything we wanted of my grandpa’s.  I didn’t quite know what to take because I didn’t want to take something too important, but I wanted to take something that I could look at and remember my grandpa from.  I walked through the house and I couldn’t find quite the right item, until I walked through my grandpa’s office.  On the left side of the used desk, I saw a Guardian Angel prayer sheet with an angel coin inserted somehow on it.
        The prayer sheet is a small and rectangular piece of paper.  The paper looks fragile, yet it is thick and durable like cardboard.  The verse is in small dainty type with a slanted curve to it that adds to its beauty.  The paper is white as snow, but the words are black as the pupil in your eye.  The verse is like having to cough in the middle of a silent moment; you constantly think about it.
        As I was cleaning my room, I found the prayer sheet on the complete different spot than it was supposed to be.  I went to go put it back on my bookshelf, but I realized it was already there: I had two prayer sheets.  I finally realized why the sheet looked so familiar when I first saw it on the desk: my great-grandma had also given me the same prayer sheet.  So now that prayer sheet isn’t important to me only because it was on my grandpa’s desk, but my great-grandma had the same sheet too.  It connects me to more than one person who is important to me.
            As I look back to that sad day of walking through the empty house, I’m glad I grabbed the simple paper with a coin taped to it.  If I didn’t grab it, I wouldn’t have been able to remember both my grandpa and my great-grandma from it. They were both extremely important to me.  The prayer verse seems so simple to most people, but it’s very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment